Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need help with my dog. He ate some chicken bones about 3…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

He ate some chicken bones about 3 days ago butand there is blood in his stool and he threw up pink fluid with some red specks

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Kiki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiki?

His stool is formed but small amounts and he is eating only a little and drinking some but not a lot

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Kiki isn't feeling well. One concern with any type of bone ingestion is that it is stuck in his intestines. Since he is producing feces, we know that his intestines are not completely obstructed but they may be partially obstructed. Another concern about bones is that they could have caused a perforation as they move through the intestines. I'm worried that the red specks in the vomit could be blood, and between that and the blood in the stool, I'm worried that a bone or piece of bone could be causing bleeding. I recommend getting him to the vet for abdominal x-rays to figure out what is going on. They may recommend doing some lab tests, as well to rule out other things that could be wrong.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He is a 12 pound Maltese
His stool is grainy and the blood may be pieces of intestine is that possible? Is it too late to help Kiki

That could be some shedding of his intestinal lining due to irritation caused by the bones. We will not know whether or not it is too late to help Kiki without doing some lab testing, such as abdominal x-rays.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
This was a can of dog food from Lemos pet store!
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you for helping me

You mean the grainy stuff was dog food?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
It was a can of chunks of cooked chicken
and even the skin it all looked very boiled down but looked like had some marrow
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The company should not sell this

I hope that is all it was, and that he just has an upset stomach. You can give him a 5mg Pepcid to make him more comfortable. If he has any more vomiting or diarrhea, I would get him in to the vet for some anti-nausea medication. They will probably want to check a stool sample for intestinal parasites and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. They may also still recommend doing abdominal x-rays.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian