Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 week old runt puppy eating gruel and want to

I have a 7...

I have a 7 week old runt puppy eating gruel and want to increase iron intake due to severe hook worms. what can i add to puppy chow to increase iron intake. Pupppy eating 4 small meals a day with puppy formula replacement added

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Ceelie. She is on round two of wormer per our vet. she weights 1.1 pound. mom stopped nursing liter is why I have her so young.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ceelie?

Her gums are light pink, not white. Our vet has ordered her to receive 3 more doses of liquid wormer on mon, tues, & weds. she is eating well and peeing. Her stool is semi form and liquid.

3/24/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I ​would use Pet Tinic which is a liquid iron, vitamin, and mineral supplement link

https://www.amazon.com/Pfizer-Animal-Pet-Tinic-Vitamin-Mineral-Supplement/dp/B00076HUAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1521902238&sr=1-1&keywords=pet+tinic+for+dogs

Y​ou can also buy some fresh beef liver from a butcher and pan sear that. Start with 1/2 teaspoon a day chopped into very tiny pieces. But the pet tinic syrup would be easier.

T​hey may have Pet tinic at larger pet stores like Petco and PetSmart but call ahead an make sure they have it in stock before you go there. Many vet clinics have it in stock as well.

Puppy chow is not a very good food. It has meat biproducts and grain fillers. If you want to use a grocery store brand use purina ONE. At the Pet store, Blue, Wellness, and Proplan are good brands. Make any food changes gradually over a weeks time to prevent gastrointestinal upset. Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with? If you are all set for now, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars so I know how I did and so the website knows your question has been answered. Many Thanks. You can still reply again as desired.

Can I give her yogurt to help with loose stool?

Y​es, you can use plain or vanilla yogurt with active cultures.

Y​ou could also use probiotics. Fortiflora by Purina is good. Proviable by Nutramax is good as well. Both are over the counter. She is so small she would just take a pinch twice a day. While she is having diarrhea, you may want to feed her a bland diet of plain cooked chicken, or plain cooked ground beef, rinsed of fat, mixed with cooked white rice. Put it in the food processor so it is like gruel. That would be easier to digest than puppy food. Then when the stools are normal, start to mix in the puppy food to the bland diet.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
thank you! Our vet is 45 mins away and main concern is treating her hook worms. I just worry that the intense tx is a lot on her little body. I appreciate all your help!

Glad to help. I hope she feels better. : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby