Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has inflammation in his soft tissue right below the…

My dog has inflammation...

My dog has inflammation in his soft tissue right below the elbow. He is limping and won't put much weight on it. What causes this and will putting ice on it help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound on the foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Murphy and age 11

3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this area been inflammed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Started this past Monday

Thank you,

With regards ***** ***** question, if there is inflammation/swelling that is >48hours old, warm compressing usually is more effective for reducing this. Ice is better for acute injury. So, do warm compress Murphy's soft tissue swelling here. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Otherwise, if he is on no other medication and hasn't any other health issues, you could also give a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). It can be given every 12-24 hours and should be given with or after food. Of course, if this lingers over the weekend despite the above, then we'd want his vet to check this to just make sure there is nothing more here (as bone and muscle tumors can look similar) and to have a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior dispensed if needed for Murphy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian