Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Last week my dog started chewing his paws, legs, and back.

Last week my dog...

Last week my dog started chewing his paws, legs, and back. On Thursday of last week, he vomited after eating dinner. Yesterday evening, he vomited twice, and once this morning. My vet is not open on Saturdays and is out of town right now, so not available for emergency services. I put a new Ceresto collar on him on March 10th. Could this be the cause? Could he be eating something in my yard? He is almost 6 and has never thrown up this much in all those years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

It made a huge mess yesterday, he vomited on my rug and couch. Today, he vomited on the hardwood floor. I have not changed his food or treats. He has always chewed some, and received cortisone shots for the itching. He has not had a shot in months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jagger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jagger?

He weighs 9 pounds, he eats Blue Buffalo Pate, he wears a Seresto collar, and takes Sentinel Spectrum once per month.

3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we can see adverse signs to these collars in dogs that are sensitive. Though usually its in the first few days we see these if we are going to do so. Therefore, while Seresto can cause short term skin itchiness, hair loss, dermatitis, depression, change of food intake, vomiting and diarrhoea; if he has had the collar on since the 10th we cannot be sure that this is the cause. Still for peace of mind, we'd want to remove it but also provide supportive care with close monitoring for other causes (ie ingestion of something he's allergic to, bacterial or viral infection, pancreatitis, parasites, etc).

To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Of course if he has any known allergies, do choose food that will agree with what he can eat. And once we have the vomiting/GI upset under control, we can try to allay the skin irritation. Topical oatmeal baths +/- OTC hydrocortisone cream are options (he'll need an ecollar to prevent chewing/licking), if we can soothe his stomach we can also use an oral OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. And provided we can get him settled with the above, we are happy. Though if his signs linger or worsen then we'd want him checked for those other health concerns.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Jagger has used a Seresto collar for about 4 years now, so I don't think it is the collar. I removed it this morning already, just in case I got a bad one. When I moved here, I was told Jag was allergic to deer. He was given the collar, then they began doing the cortisone shots. My new vet tried a series of shots that do not have the cortisone, but they did not work for his itching. I have tried Benadryl, Apoquel (I believe was the name), and medicated shampoo. Would it be ok to give him a small dose of Pepto?

Hi again,

If he has had it that long, I agree its less likely but removing it to be sure is always ideal and we can put it back on once he is settled.

Else I'd not use Pepto unless he had diarrhea too (else we could constipate him). So, the Zantac or Pepcid would be better options so we don't add that in as a complication.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.