Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a puppy is 2 years old that is dry heaving what can I…

I have a puppy...

I have a puppy is 2 years old that is dry heaving what can I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

Don't think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

What breed is Max?

Any lip licking, drooling, or actual vomiting?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, distension, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

It just started I don't know he's never done this before. He's a dachshund ***** ***** mix his gums are still pink like normal he doesn't mind if I press on his belly I have for you a few weeks ago I don't know what happened he started throwing up his food and I started getting chicken and rice and chicken broth he got better and now he's just doing his food and goats milk and now every morning he wakes up and he's dry heaving

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see he hasn't those urgent signs I asked about. Though if he was vomiting before and heaving now that tells us he is still nauseous and the signs are likely linked. So, we'd be wary that this is from a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, Max's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
This website gave me quite a bit of information and I give the veterinarian. Talk to a five-star

You are very welcome, my dear and thank you for your kind rating.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Thank u very much. How much is an Zantac should I give him

As you will see in the link, its weight based but he can have 1mg per pound of weight.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.