Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sorry my chat disappeared. Sore back leg. Shes having

Customer Question
Sorry my chat disappeared ...

Sorry my chat disappeared

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Sore back leg. Shes having trouble sleeping. Can i give her anything to ease her pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Shes a bit overweight. She has a lump on her leg. But there is no vet open atm.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if she is sore, we do need to tread with care, as this can arise with muscle strains/sprains but also with tendon damage, spinal pain or nerve inflammation. Still in regards ***** ***** question for helping her at the moment, you can give a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE). This can be given every 12-24 hours but after a bit of food (to avoid GI upset). Furthermore, if she will allow, consider warm compressing the sore leg. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). But of course if these signs linger, then we'd want her seen once her vet is open to check for those above concerns, dispense strong dog specific pain relief options +/- an xray if needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Awesome thank you very much

You are very welcome, my dear.
Best wishes for you both,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have panadol or neurofen. No aspirin in the house. Am I able to give her some of that?

Oh dear,

Neurofen is toxic, so we absolutely one to avoid. Panadol is Paracetamol and its not one we like to use in dogs (it has a narrow safety range) but it can be used at a small dose of 5mg per pound every 12-24 hours after food if we need to. But we do always need to take care to keep that dose low (and just to note never use in cats), so that one can be used at a wee dose.

Dr. B

**************************

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian