Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We don’t know the history of our three year old dachshund as…

We don’t know the...

We don’t know the history of our three year old dachshund as she is a rescue. She was a breeder dog from a puppy mill left injured at a kill shelter in a drop box and was rescued by Chapman’s Dachshund Rescue. She was nursed back to standing and even running with anti-inflammatories and crate rest. Knowing all this we fell in love with her and adopted her.
Suddenly about three weeks ago her back went out and we don’t know why. She drags her lower half and her back legs behind her and it just breaks your heart. We are lucky to have Vanguard here, an excellent doggie rehab, They gave her Gabapentin and Rimadyl, plus a supplement (Ligaplex II) and taking and therapy twice a week: laser, electrodes, water therapy on the treadmill in the tub, etc. We see glimmers of hope, but she’s still very hurt and cannot walk. We towel walk her to relieve herself, but Dr. V says not to get a cart or crate her, to let her scoot, as she will quit trying to stand and walk
Dr. V says an x-ray really won’t help, but an MRI will show the damage. We called to make an appointment, but they charge $2600. for the MRI and exam. Yikes!!! That isn’t even corrective surgery yet!!! We are 68 and 74 years old and live on our social security and we just do not have it. I am desperate to know what to do. We just love her to pieces as does our other rescue pup. She is just too young to relegate her to a cart the rest of her life or heaven forbid put her down.
Is there a cheaper diagnostic tool for her or another place to take her? We wondered if a CT scan would be better and cheaper? Do you have any ideas what we could do to help her once and for all?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There isn't. Her back legs are raw from dragging them so we use band-aids on the raw areas and change frequently

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sweetie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweetie?

Everything I included above.

3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now your veterinarian is correct that an xray won't let us see the spine and assess why Sweetie's signs have developed. And it is important to understand that a CT is just a 3-D xray, so its great for looking at bones to diagnose osteoarthritis and fractures but it won't tell us much about the spine. That is why an MRI is key here. It is the only real way to assess the spinal cord within its boney vertebrae case to see if there are bulging discs, disc herniation, pinched nerves and a mass, emboli or bleed. So, a CT may be a bit cheaper (the main cost is the anesthesia since dogs won't lay still), it just won't tell us what she needs here. So, we'd really need an MRI and it may be worth ringing around to see if any referral hospital can do it for less, if a local vet school could offer a reduced rate for her as a teaching case (or sometimes they do have funds to help), or if the local rescue she came from could be of aid but unfortunate a CT won't be a real option here for Sweetie.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian