Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 year old Rottweiler cruciate ligament snapped he…

I have a 6...

I have a 6 year old Rottweiler cruciate ligament snapped he is in immense pain I can't afford the operation because when he was5 months old he had both his front legs operated on for elbow display is so couldn't get insurance to cover him is it kinder to have him put to sleep or is there an alternative

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Samson aged 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samson?

No just what I have already said

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is an unfortunate situation for poor Samson.

While surgery is the best option, if it just isn't possible, then do ring his vet about at least dispensing dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, Tramadol, etc). That way we can keep him comfortable while we rest him and give his body a chance to scar the ruptured ligament/tissues to at least stabilize the leg (its not a great option since the body isn't as precise as the surgery but its one that can at least lead to stabilization of the keen). As that happens, you could also use a dog specific keen brace Example to hold the keen in place as the body tries to cope with this. There are a range of these on the market (some even carried by Amazon) and at least will keep the knee stable and reduce pain when he moves. Finally, just in case you have not seen his vet yet (since we need one to examine him in person for pain relief), I'd note that you can see if you qualify for PDSA care (HERE) or ring the RSPCA as they've subsidized hospitals and can also arrange help for you in this situation. But it is worth at least giving his knee a chance to cope with this before we give up on Samson.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I was very pleased with the response thank you for the information very helpful my vet only gave me the two options of operation or putting to sleep because it is a severe rupture I will try your advise

You are very welcome, my dear.

As we know, surgery is ideal but its worth seeing if we can medically manage it to give him a chance. :)

Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian