Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, who has gastrointestinitis, ate a velveeta cheese…

My dog, who has...

My dog, who has gastrointestinitis, ate a velveeta cheese packet with the foil today. I was wondering if it was cause to panic. He threw up in his kennel while we were gone for a couple of hours but he does that when he has rich foods.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Niko, 5.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Niko?

I don't think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear this has happened.

How long ago did Niko eat the packet and how much does Niko weigh?

He ate it around noon yesterday and he weighs about 75lbs.

I see. I know that can be frustrating, my dog has stolen a lot of food in the past.

Is he vomiting this morning or does he seem fine so far?
How is appetite?
Any diarrhea?
Does he seem painful in his belly at all?

We haven't fed him again yet because we didn't want to upset it further and his poop was normal when i let him out 20 minutes ago. He only vomited in the kennel while we were gone so far
His energy is still really high right now and he seems like he's ready for breakfast

Thats good.

I suspect he will have a pretty upset stomach from the velveta. The foil likely will pass without any issue.

It would be a good idea to feed a bland diet for the next 24 hours and give a little medication to help reduce stomach acid.

Do you have any famotidine (pepcid AC) or omeprazole (prilosec OTC) at home?

I do not have those things currently. Should I get some for him? Also, his food is bland because of his gastro issue. It's 4Health brand. Is that bland enough or just stick to the rice and chicken?

I would stick with chicken and rice for this morning, then give normal food in the evening.

I would also pick up some omeprazole, and give 40mg (two 20mg capsules) once this morning and again tomorrow morning. That should help to settle the stomach and hopefully prevent any further issues.

Okay, thank you very much!

If Niko is having multiple vomiting episodes later today or starts to have bloody diarrhea, I would have him seen by a vet as sometimes the high fat in velveta and other products like that can lead to pancreatitis and he may need prescription medications. More likely, I think he will just have mild upset stomach and be fine.

I hope so, Dr. G

I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.