Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Im hand rearing a puppy which will be 2 weeks old next week.

Hi, im hand rearing...

Hi, im hand rearing a puppy which will be 2 weeks old next week. Her eyes are still closed and drinks baby dog formulae from a bottle. This has been one exhausting experience and this morning dosed off with her next to me on the bed. She managed to wriggle herself to the edge of the bed and fell off and i woke up to her yelp when she obviously hit the tiled floor. I pickef her up immediately and she stopped crying. After rubbing her a few minutes she drank her bottle 30 mls no problem. I rubbed her head and body, she never cried she is only now a little restless while sleeping aftet her bottle. What should i do, should i be concerned she is so small, will she die. Please advise me. Thank you so much. Vanessa

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

Nothing i can think of except her mothet threw her away at birth, and she has been hand reared ever since.

3/24/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on this pup, please?

Regretfully, it's nigh impossible to assess the extent of injury from afar. I can only tell you that her accepting the bottle and sleeping normally after her fall are positive prognostic signs. Should she stop nursing, vocalize excessively, and/or hold her head in an unusual position, brain trauma would need to be considered and a vet's attention needed.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on the pup, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian