Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He licked up some children’s Motrin he is only 8 lbs maybe…

Customer Question
He licked up some...

He licked up some children’s Motrin he is only 8 lbs maybe and it’s was maybe half a teaspoon on the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Nan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nan?

Just that he is old about 10 He already has trouble breathing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is the milligrams per milliliter of the preparation you have?

How long ago did this happen?

At about 10 pm approximately

Hi again,

I cannot see your time zone, so you need to tell me how many hours ago that was?

As well, please let me know the drug strength there so I can asses the dose

And are his gums pink, or pale, or brown?

100 mg per 5 ml
He may have only licked about 1 ml I’m guessing because I grabbed him as soon as I seen him doing it

Ok, now I do need that other information but as time is important in these cases I will start typing a treatment plan.

Now you noted breathing issues but that isn't a feature of this medication. In toxic doses it causes GI upset, stomach ulcers and damage to the kidneys. So, if he is struggling to breathe that could mean something else not related and we'd want him seen now.

Else usually if they've had something toxic <2 hours, we'd want to induce vomiting but that isn't an option if Nan has breathing issues. So, instead you can try administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall if he is having issues breathing that is worrisome in itself and we'd want him seen. Else we can use the above for this toxicity to risk it causing the above signs. But any struggles to do that and again he needs seeing. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

What do I need to do if he only licked maybe 1 ml which it’s 100 ml in 5 mls so that’s 20 mls
Hello
I was not done

Hello again,

I do apologize I was called to an emergency with my own patient. If its a 1ml, that is still 20mg and still a risk at his size. So, the same applies.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.