Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Shih Tzu ate what I believe to be mushrooms in the yard.

Customer Question
My Shih Tzu ate...

My Shih Tzu ate what I believe to be mushrooms in the yard. He has been going over to that area for several days and I just realized that must be the cause of his excessive thirst, urinating, depression, finally throwing up. Seems to have lost weight the last 2 or 3 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Buddy is 11 years old.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you know the mushroom species you have out there?

What does the vomit and urine look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know species. My husband burned them. Buddy ate burned mushroom particles. Urine looks normal. Keeps water down. Drinks a lot. Thrown up once this morning , slimy. But has not been eating well.Gums still pink. Pressing on belly seems ok. I can tell he's lost weight this week.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, not going to call and pay extra fee. If necessary I will take in to vet. By lunch. Thanks for the input.

Hello again,

No worries, the call offer is automatic and not from myself.

With regards ***** ***** situation, without knowing the species our focus would be on symptomatic treatment at this point.

Now his nausea/vomiting may be due to these upsetting the gut, but my worry is actually excessive thirst and urination. Its good the urine is not discolored (as some fungal toxins can cause damage to red blood cells), but those 2 signs together make me concerned that we could have damage to the kidneys or liver from fungal toxins. Therefore,I do think its best to have him to the local vet for assessment and treatment for his nausea but also to have bloods (or at least urine) tested to make sure there has not been damage done by these.

Any delay and you can at least try to reduce his gut upset with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). These will be better tolerated by his stomach and should help keep further weight loss in check. But again while its possible to see increased thirst with nausea, given the situation Buddy is in, I am worried about fungal toxicity. Therefore, do start the above for his stomach but monitor that thirst closely. And if that doesn't settle as the nausea does, we'd want bloods checked as we may need Buddy on fluids to flush the toxins out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian