Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been throwing up since about 9:30 pm. A yellow lab.

She has been throwing...

She has been throwing up since about 9:30 pm

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A yellow lab. 5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. My dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your lab eat anything unusual?

She is indiscriminate water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the lab's name?

Today she at a roll of toilet paper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your lab?

Ivy

3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Did she eat it whole or tear it apart? Did she eat the tube too?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s brownish color, with bits of food.
She tore the roll, did not eat the tube.pink gums.
Look moist.
She is out eating grass right now.
No diarrhea.

Hello again,

Poor lass, she sounds quite nauseous. Now we can see these signs with a range of issues but it does sound like she has challenged her intestines here and there is a risk of partial or full GI blockage from the TP. So, we do need to tread with care and monitor Ivy closely.

With this all in mind, we can start some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. First, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

After we can feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting the toilet paper slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved to check for a blockage +/- treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- enema (depending how far down the GI it all is) to get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just want to get her through the night. I will call the vet first thing in the morning.
Thanks

Hello again,

That is fair enough and the above I outlined should help you do that.

Best wishes,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help

You are very welcome, my dear.
Best wishes,
Dr. B.

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian