Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a 10 mg pill of amlodipine. It's 1:30 am. "What…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a 10 mg pill of amlodipine. It's 1:30 am. "What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

She is 10 yrs old, 35 lbs and is an australian cattle dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Blue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blue?

I don't think so.

3/24/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Blue swallowed a 10 mg tablet of amlodipine. This happened about 15 minutes ago, correct?

The good news is that this is not a toxic dose. The dose for dogs with this medication is 0.5 mg/kg, which would mean Blue's dose is approximately 10 mg. Even though Blue does not require this medication, it should not cause the severe side effects of a drop in blood pressure as would be expected with toxicity. So this is not an emergency and you do not need to induce vomiting.

Giving activated charcoal can help prevent absorption of the medication, but otherwise, supportive care and monitoring for vomiting / nausea is recommended.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
it did. Thank you so much.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian