Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog possibly ate some rat poison tomcat brick, had itbin hef…

Dog possibly ate some...

Dog possibly ate some rat poison tomcat ***** ***** brick, had itbin hef mouth and spit it out shoul i induce vomiging?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes had Tomcat brand green brick of rat poison in her mouth, then spit it out so should i induce vomiting to b safe?

3/24/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. here. I'm sorry to hear about this. If she only had it in her mouth and spit it out then you don't need to do anything else. This type of poison is not absorbed through the skin or mucosal lining of the mouth. If you think she ate some, we should induce vomiting. If you have the box can you give me the name of the active ingredient please?

No dont have box but know it Tomcat brand,green block of posion

okay no problem. So she didn't actually swallow any right?

Not that im aware of but 2 corners were nibbled but not sure if that was a mouse of my dog

Ah okay. It's probably safest then to go ahead and have her vomit. How big is your dog?

60lbs

You can give a couple of tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth followed by a cracker (like a Ritz cracker or saltine) and that should produce vomiting in 5-10 minutes.

Then you will be able to see if there is any green in the vomit from swallowing the poison (assuming it was in the last 45 minutes or so)

Any vomit?

Hi I want to give you some symptoms to watch for just in case she did eat some poison and in case it made it through the stomach and got absorbed (although that doesn't sound likely in this case based on what you've told me). This type of poison normally takes 3-5 days to show symptoms and it stops the blood from being able to clot normally. Most of the time external bleeding is not obvious and you only notice the pet is weak and/or cold. If you look at the gums, they are pale. Sometimes bloody urine or stool is evident or nose bleeds may be seen. Signs of bleeding in more than one body location are a good hint that there is a problem with blood coagulation and appropriate testing and treatment can be started.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks and have a great night!

Hi, can you please take a moment to rate our conversations 5 stars? Without the rating, I get no credit for helping you? Thanks so much!

Heath Wilkerson