Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate Dentastix and has been flat and sick since, lethargic…

He ate Dentastix and...

He ate Dentastix and has been flat and sick since, lethargic and is now eating but very very little, have him in .25gms of Flagyl twice a day and syringe feeding him an egg flip. He comes good in the late afternoon but then screams all night wanting to be in bed with you. is quiet if I put him with other puppies at night but goes flat again and the cycle starts again........he is 8wks old......was a happy puppy now down to 900mgs and temp is 38.2. He feels warm is this high for me at this age

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Pocket rocket.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

The box says not under 4mths but not in big enough print I am afraid

3/24/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

No vomiting?

Paul

only saliva at first, not doing that now and he finally did a nice firm poo today. this has been going on now since Tuesday. I had other pups too react but cleared up but this pup is persistent. he has lost another 30 grms since yesterday. he is brighter in the late afternoon but demanding to go to our bed at night and screams like you cannot believe......even with his sister in there for company. He has chosen the baked lamb to nibble on, and only nibble but she found it today and that encouraged him to eat a bit longer. I am so upset with Pedigree for not having it on the package warning do not feed to pups under 4mths........instead it is in normal print on the side...........pups are when they are teething and they are soft enough for them not to get stuck.........I am still syringing every so often the egg flip, today I blanched some mince steak and watered down some Royal canin junior mousse and syringed in some of the blood off the mince with the Royal Canin so he was getting the vitamins and a bit of iron............any suggestions
no its okay this way

Thanks

If he seems in discomfort and is crying then I am concerned that the dentastix may be lodged somewhere in the GI track

I would feel much more comfortable with an x-ray to check him for blockage

Paul

would an ultrasound pick that up.............he is only crying to get his own way, he wants to come to bed with us at night.......

An ultrasound would be even BETTER :)

I specialize in ultrasound

That lack of appetite and discomfort is worrying to me

Paul

okay will do an ultrasound tomorrow............its the lack of appetite that concerns me, he is bright in the eyes so not really showing that he is in pain but I am not expert..........will let you know tomorrow after ultrasound.........

Good stuff!!

Yes, please update me after the scan

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
can not get the scan done till tomorrow as our ultrasound is not strong enough......but he slept in the bedroom with his sister all night not a peek, caught him having nibbles at food during the night, he has eaten biscuits this morning and has done a nice firm poo........i do think we have turned the page..............lets hope in anycase. will still watch him like a hawk

Yippee!!

Keep me posted

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul