Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bow often can I give mineral oil for a dog with possible…

Bow often can I give...
Bow often can I give mineral oil for a dog with possible intestinal blockage
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I walked him and he tired to defecate nut just the enema solution came out
3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you know what he ate?

How long has been unable to pass stool?

Is he straining?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He ate some frozen gravel and dug a hole. If of bowel obstructions with eating larger stones. Gums are pink. That occurred Friday morning prior to 8 am. Acted fine all day. Ate small breakfast kept it down. Fed dinner st 5 and at 1130 pm was vomiting undigested food. 1200 pm is when he got the mineral oil and enemas. No stool present after enema given. Has slept quietly all night. I administered another 1/4 cup of mineral oil at 5 am.

Oh dear,

Poor lad! Now actually if he has vomited, we don't want to use mineral oil in this situation. There is a risk he may vomit that which could lead to aspiration pneumonia.

Instead, we have to tackle the nausea/vomiting and use some more conservative and safer options to see if we can get thing passing for him. Of course, we need to be careful because gravel can erode and damage the gut. And if those aren't just water/glycerin enemas you could also cause serious electrolyte imbalance.s

With this all in mind, we need to reduce the vomiting first. For that you can try an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

After, start small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also use OTC cat hairball medication as a safer lubricant option. And if you do give any more enemas (though they only reach so far), you are best using a combination of luke warm water, KY jelly and dish soap. These are safe and can help get lower bowel material moving if its not lodged.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own. And given that we are a day into this, we do need to try these but we are getting to a point where an xray would really be the best option here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian