Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Still waiting for answer. My dog Coco is 30 lbs and she at a…

Customer Question
Still waiting for answer. My...
Still waiting for answer. My dog Coco is 30 lbs and she at a 10 mg ambient. WhT should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Coco swallowed 10 mg of ambien. How long ago did that happen?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
25 minutes ago

The dose that Coco swallowed is above the threshold dose of when we expect to see what are called "paradoxical reactions." This often results in neurological effects, seizures, and can elevate the temperature. The first thing that needs to be done is to induce vomiting, followed by activated charcoal, and then treatments such as cyproheptadine and acepromazine to prevent the neurological effects of the medication. This requires a trip the veterinarian unfortunately.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Problem is that I actually took an ambien before she did and I can't possibly drive. Anything I could do at home?

Hydrogen peroxide can be given to help induce vomiting. Activated charcoal can be given as well if you have it. Are those options?

The disclaimer here is that hydrogen peroxide can induce vomiting, but it can sometimes be difficult to stop it. Occasionally, it does not work at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have both.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the help. She seeems fine so far, but going to give her hydrogen peroxide. How long do I wait to give her activated charcoal?

The recommendation for hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting is 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) per 10 lbs. So 3 teaspoons can be given. Wait 10 minutes. If no vomiting then you can give another dose. Do not give more than 2 doses. If no vomiting, or 5-10 minutes after vomiting stops, then move to giving the activated charcoal.

The activated charcoal can be difficult to achieve the goals we want. The point of the charcoal is to bind the medication to prevent absorption, so the goal is to fill the intestines with the charcoal. In order to do that the dose at her weight is 13,600 mg. The over-the-counter use for people is not meant to do the same thing, so the milligram strength is usually much lower like 250 mg. If a capsule is 250 mg then it will take 54 capsules broken into water and given usually with a syringe.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

How is Coco doing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian