Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 10 years old. He weight about 22 pounds. My vet…

My dog is 10...

My dog is 10 years old. He weight about 22 pounds. My vet prescribed metacam at 1.9 MGs. He has taken metacam before and showed some signs of aggression but tonight he became labored breathing and very aggressive to one of my other dogs ( not normal),

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Little Boy He is 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

He had back surgery twice and takes metacam for pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No Well...he is not throwing up or losing balance, but he is excessively thirsty and aggressive and panting

My dog is also thirsty and panting
I do not want to panic but do not want to wait too long to go to ER either. What will they do once there at ER
I thought the vet was on call....how long will it be before I receive an answer?
3/24/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. This is a very unusual side effect, but if it bothers him in this way I would switch pain medication. Personally, I like Previcoxx as a second choice particularly for small breed dogs. Have you tried taking the Metacam does back to the normal level (0.1 mg/kg which would be half of what you are giving now) and adding Tramadol to complement it? The dose that you gave should wear off in about 6-12 hours.

Hi :) it looks like we were typing at the same time

At the ER, we typically wouldn't do anything specific for panting. We might give a mild tranquilizer though for the aggression and to help him sleep.

thank you for answering. I am bit fearful and in a panic so forgive me.
Should I take him to the ER? Or give the medicine time to wear off?
I will absolutely talk with my vet about your suggestion. Apparently this medicine is to much dosage or he has a difficult time with it.

If it's just panting, then he doesn't need to go to the ER. Panting is the body's natural way to dissipate heat. If the Metacam is raising his body temp a bit, then the panting is good and it will subside once the medication wears off. If you feel he is truly having difficulty breathing, that would be different and he would need to be seen right away for that, but it sounds like from what you are describing that he is just panting.

Sir, that is correct. I have never seen him this aggressive, and funny that it is only toward one of the other dogs. I have two, but he is very irritated with the one and wanting to fight him.
thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice. Have a wonderful night

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson
I will do so...thank you again.