Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is having issues with her equilibrium. She is

Customer Question
My puppy is having...

My puppy is having issues with her equilibrium. She is walking sideways and shaking awkwardly. She eventually sits and lies down due to it. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time, our vet said she may have gotten into something outside, ate it, and it is making her feel ill. We waiting 2 days, and it passed. But now it's happening again, so I'm a little more worried. She also threw up the food we gave her today, and hasn't eaten a single bite since all day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?

She's 7 months old, chihuahua.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Did you veterinarian do bloodwork? We generally divide problems like this into three categories. The first is something toxic..... but given that this is the second episode I think a taxi would be less likely. The next catagory are outside the brain problems. These are things that can usually be diagnosed with bloodwork. Some potential problems are low blood sugar (although eating something should solve the problem and it should not have lasted 2 days last time) or a congenital problem called a liver shunt. One other possible cause of equilibrium problems is a inner ear infection.

The last category is the inside the brain problems. These are things that effect the brain and cause balance loss. These problems are hard to diagnosis.

Given the age of your puppy I am very concerned about some kind of congenital problem (like a birth defect). You need to start with bloodwork to find out more

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you for all of that information. I am scheduling an appointment for tomorrow to have her checked out + bloodwork.

Best wishes!

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian