Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has recently been operated on. She is 4 yrs old she…

My dog has recently...

My dog has recently been operated on. She is 4 yrs old she is taking antibiotics and tramadol for pain. What can I give her to relieve constipation

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

No other than she had bladder stones

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I start can you please tell me how much Bella weighs { In pounds } so I can work out some dose rates for her.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Bella is 120 lbs

Got it thanks, ***** ***** up your answer now ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Bella is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Both antibiotics and Tramadol can sometimes cause some degree of constipation, this is rarely serious but hopefully her constipation will disappear at the end of her drugs course, but there are some safe options you can try to relieve her constipation in the meantime. Here are some examples ...

1. You may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size { 120 pounds } would be in the region of 10 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try three tablespoons twice a day for a large dog such as Bella.

Of course, if the problem continues despite simple home remedies then you should have your vet check her over. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bella's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much Doctor Nimmo

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?