Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 5 yr old Boxer. 2 days ago she was sick, dry heaving.

Customer Question
I have 5 yr...

I have 5 yr old Boxer. 2 days ago she was sick, dry heaving. The next day she was better. Stools were good. Yesterday her stools were as usual, than last night she had the runs but only a little came out. I looked at it and it was a cranberry grape color. Than this morning she had 3 stools that were excellent, good color and size. Than tonight again within 20 minutes she had 5 stools and came out like water and was a cranberry color again. She hasn't drank out of her water bowl but eats snow. I also will give her water from a bottle to make sure she's hydrated. Please tell me what you think. I got laid off from my job 2 weeks ago and don't have the money to take her to a vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Boxer. What is the Boxer's name?

Boo. She is my life. I don't want anything to happen to her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boxer?

She is sleeping more than usual. I walk her 2-3 miles a day.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear about this. The best remedy for her diarrhea (colitis) is probably Metronidazole, but you would need to call your vet for that since it is a generic prescription. It is however very inexpensive. If you can't do this, at home you can try a few things to help her out:

1- Pedialyte (to help keep her hydrated)

2- Canned pumpkin to eat. The high fiber in the pumpkin tends to calm the GI tract and can help resolve the diarrhea in some cases.

3- A canine probiotic to help restore her normal gastrointestinal health

here is an example online:

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets/dp/50029?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Purina%20Pro%20Plan%20Veterinary%20Diets&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIquHsi_6D2gIVSrftCh1eGg6GEAYYASABEgITifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 26 days ago

Hi, can you please take a moment to rate our conversations 5 stars? Without the rating, I get no credit for helping you? Thanks so much!

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson