Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my dog prednisone yesterday at 4pm and a meloxicam at…

I gave my dog...

I gave my dog prednisone yesterday at 4pm and a meloxicam at 8pm today after he reinjured a leg while playing. He had only been on prednisone for 5 days. I just read you can't mix. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Luger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luger?

He was on prednisone for vestibular disease that started a week ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily the prednisone was a short course but you want to be monitoring primarily for gi upset with the combination of the two medications without a washout period

Please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion with the short course of steroids

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Okay thank you. My dog weighs 100lbs and gave 7.5 meloxicam.

That is a high dose, typically the dose is 4.5 mg (0.1 mg/kg and at 100 pounds, 45 kg this is the standard dosing) so please monitor closely for gi upset at this concentration. It will not be organ toxic but can be gi related unfortunately so I would proactively give 20 mg pepcid (famotidine) now if you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Can I give him peptobismal

This is not effective in pets to minimize gi upset and can be confused with stomach bleeding because it turns the stool black so it is not advised. Pepcid or prilosec are advised and available at your local grocery or pharmacy

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian