Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just vomited a small amount of bright red blood. What…

She just vomited a...

She just vomited a small amount of bright red blood. What should I watch for?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No and she hasn't eaten anything since but that isn't unusual on the days she goes to daycare.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie and she's 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

She is a Boston Terrier and he poop is often greenish

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant she hasn't eaten since breakfast
3/24/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Sometimes if a dog vomits forcefully, or eats and then vomits something irritating to the gastrointestinal tract (like hard plastic material or lots of rawhide), the lining of the esophagus or stomach gets irritated and the small blood vessels in the esophagus or stomach break and thus we see blood or a pink tinge in the vomit.

If her gums are a nice bubblegum pink color then the bleeding is very likely very little.

The concern with irritating her esophagus enough to cause bleeding is that strictures may form due to scar tissue replacing normal esophageal tissue when this heals. It will be important to feed soft foods and use an acid reducer to help her heal.

In some cases with lots of damage we also prescribe a coating agent called sucralfate to help the stomach and esophageal lining heal.

I would start with an acid reducing medication to try and reduce the effects of irritating stomach acid. You can give either:

1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers which will decrease irritation of the stomach and should help her feel better. They should be given for at least 3-4 weeks to protect the stomach and esophageal lining.

Then I recommend holding off on feeding her until tomorrow morning. Water is fine as she needs to stay hydrated but by taking away food we rest her gut and hopefully get things healing.

In the morning start a bland, soft diet of 1/3 boiled, skinless, white meat chicken minced or boiled, very lean, ground beef mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice or pasta. If you don't want to continue cooking you can purchase canned prescription Hills I/d diet from a veterinarian. This is an easily digested bland diet and won't irritate her esophagus, stomach and intestines. Add lots of water to make it soft and soupy for the next 7-10 days. Then gradually you can add less water. I would keep her on a soft diet for the next week or so. If she doesn't vomit any more, and the blood was more pink tinged or very little after 7-10 days you can start slowly reintroducing her normal diet, but it should be softened with broth or warm water, especially if she eats dry food. It should take about a week to convert her back, mixing a little more regular and less bland in each meal.

You can also give her probiotics to replace good bacteria in her gut. Fortiflora and Benebac are very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them.

If even with the acid reducing medication, and bland soft diet she still is vomiting and/or refusing to eat she should be seen by a veterinarian.

If she continues vomiting blood even with the acid reducing medication then she needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. That's what we were thinking but it's good to have you verify. It was the first time seeing blood and we freaked out a little.

Glad to help, my best to your pup.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian