Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just came home to find my dog ate a half a bag of

Hello I just came...

Hello I just came home to find my dog ate a half a bag of composure for anxiety. Before we left at 3:30 today I gave him a Xanax to help so I'm not sure when he ate everything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Ky and he's an 8year old sheepadoodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ky?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ky?

He has high separation anxiety and also takes 50 mg of fluoxetine a day which he took this morning along with two composer which he normally takes

3/24/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Ok

Luckily this should not cause any issues outside of lethargy overnight (I have helped with a few cases of this type of ingestion with this treat). Can you tell me what time zone you are in so I have an idea of how long of a period of time the ingestion potentially could have been?​

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the treats pass more readily of >15 minutes if he isn't developing lethargy

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thanks u, we are Eastern Time Zone

So potentially 6 hours ago, please monitor for lethargy overnight that seems progressive and gi upset but otherwise you should be alright. Thank you for the positive rating and please let me know anything else I can do for you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman