Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog may have ingested a small amount of Trizultra + Keto.

Hi. My dog...

Hi. My dog may have ingested a small amount of Trizultra + Keto. I'm wondering if I should just keep a close eye on her or if I need to rush her to a vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?

The dog's name is Maddie. She is 11 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?

Nope, just that she might have swallowed some of this ear cleaner

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

There is nothing in this product which is particularly toxic to dogs so the chances are that if only a small amount was ingested then your dog will be just fine and will not exhibit any adverse symptoms of any sort. About the worst that could happen here is a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea, I will give you a few tips on how to handle things in the unlikely event that any such should occur.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners also try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day, feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Of course, if adverse symptoms do occur and of the above does not quickly start to work or if she then deteriorates further in any way you should have your local vet check her over just to be on the safe side, but really this would be quite unlikely. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Maddie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott