Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's knee always makes clicking sounds 10 mins into our…

My dog's knee always...

My dog's knee always makes clicking sounds 10 mins into our walks. I know she was born with a weak hip & the vet said something about her knee. Should I see if it gets better, or go straight to an appointment?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

The vet had said nothing is torn *yet* but to keep an eye on it. That was about 6mos ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sage. She just turned 3 the other day. A red nose pit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sage?

Just weak joints since birth

3/24/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Sure thing, and thank you

If there is no associated lameness I wouldn't rush into your veterinarian but would research your physical therapy options in your area. If there are weak joints and tendons that are causing the issue prevention is key, strengthening exercises just as we do in people can help prevent a cruciate injury and hopefully surgery in the future

CLICK HERE and on the left there is a "find a therapist" in your area

I use this regularly on my patients and own pets with great success. Even partial cruciate tears recover with this method and hopefully can help Sage in giving her a happy healthy and long life with you

I hope this makes sense and please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am not set up to make phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you have online. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can take calls.

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I just saw the full answer. Thank you so much, I will definitely look for a therapist. I do have one question in mind, and I understand if this is out of your scope, but would you happen to know if dog insurance might help with phys therapy costs if she had her X rays and I was told they're weak joints/hips before I got insurance?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Thank you for the positive rating. If this is considered pre existing it likely will not be covered but depending on the insurance there is a good possibility it is because it is preventative based not injury based

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman