Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 year old pug Costello was poked in his left eye with a…

My 3 year old pug...
My 3 year old pug Costello was poked in his left eye with a bone Now he either can't open it or doesn't want to
3/24/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

He does open it to go upstairs to his bed

I am so sorry that your Pug Costello is having this issue. I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen but because of his breed he is already at high risk for a corneal ulcer and difficult recovery so treatment is key to getting this resolved quickly. Closing the eye is an instinctual method to protect the eye when painful

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain. I would hate to have you end up at the veterinary er over the weekend because it worsens or is not improving and have to pay the higher price in order to get comfortable

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am not set up to make phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you have online. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can take calls.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Costello to see how he was feeling and if his eye is improving? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Costello awoke up this morning bright eye and tail wagging
Hes good thank god
Thanks for your help

Oh wow that's amazing! I am so happy for you :)

Thank you for the update and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian