Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My sons American pit had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove

Customer Question
My sons American pit...

My sons American pit had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove kidney stones from the bladder. Post-op 3 weeks and he is still vomiting every night, slow to drink water, which he loved drinking water before, they took him back to the vet about 8 days post op, they did lab work looking for infection, it was benign, they changed their dog food at the recommendation of the vet, still continues to vomit. They trie to reset his system by keeping home NPO for 24 hours and then slowly reintroduce food, still vomits once a night. Is i5 poss

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the pit eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the pit's name?

Bentley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?

Not that I can think of, I will get the name of what the stones were made out of, texting my son.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Bentley is still vomiting. Did the vet give you any anti-nausea medication for him? Are you giving him antibiotics or any other medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he got some anti emetic, also he put him on some famotidine. The pathology on his stones cam back as struvite crystals.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am looking for some help, but can’t pay anymore.

No worries, the system automatically offers phone calls. Is Bentley being treated with antibiotics? Is he on a urinary diet to prevent more stones?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have to take this dog back to the vet tomorrow, my son and daughter-in-law have already spent over $3000.00 and each time they go back it is costing them more. All I want is someone to steer us in a direction that we can ask the vet some pointed questions that might help get to the bottom of this. I am an RN, I have seen this on babies who have abdominal surgery, then can’t keep anything down because they have a malrotated gut, from the surgery. Can those happen in dogs?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is not on antibiotic and they changed his diet to prevent further stones.

Oh right, you said they did not find an infection so he is not on antibiotics. Is he vomiting less now than he was before? Did they go blood work prior to the surgery?

He may be having some acid reflux. You can try giving him a 40 mg Pepcid tablet every 12 hours. If that does not help, I recommend rechecking blood work. In rare cases, if there is underlying kidney disease, anesthesia can make it worse and cause signs such as vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they Have him on famotidine, 40 mg a day, still vomits, mostly at night they said.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will ask about the underlying kidney disease tomorrow. Should they bump up the Pepcid to 40mg in the morning and 40mg at night?

Yes, I would bump up the Pepcid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will have them do that tonight and see if it helps. Would that affect his desire to drink water also?

If he's feeling nauseous, it could make him not want to drink, either. Is he drinking more than normal or less? Drinking more than normal is a sign of kidney disease.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No drinking less than usual.

Okay, that can also happen with kidney disease if it's making them sick enough. I would bump up the Pepcid and make sure her kidneys are okay. If they haven't done a urine culture I would have them do that also. Usually they only do a urinalysis but that can miss infection sometimes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will push for a urine culture tomorrow.

I think that's a good idea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you think of anything else we should ask?

Yes, I would ask about getting an anti-nausea medication in addition to trying to figure out what is causing the nausea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, will do, thank you for your time. I hope we can get to the bottom of this? Have you ever had any post abdominal surgeries have complications as I stated earlier with a malrotated gut?

Yes, malrotation can occur, but I would expect more severe vomiting with that. If it's just once a night, I don't think that's the problem. But it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet about an abdominal x-ray to make sure.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian