Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Golden Retriever has a spot on the side of her muzzle…

Customer Question
My Golden Retriever has...

My Golden Retriever has a spot on the side of her muzzle that will not heal. I cannot get into her regular vet for several weeks (they have changed staff and it is hard to get an appointment when I can take her). I know it is not a real emergency but I am concerned about the spot. I have tried putting neosporin on it but to no avail. Should I take her to an emergency clinic to be seen?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Golden Retriever?

She is in good health otherwise. She just has the spot about the size of a pencil eraser that is slightly raised and will not heal. It sometimes oozes a little.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. If she is eating and drinking, breathing normally, and is energetic, I do not think you need to take her to the emergency clinic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is eating normally and acting normally but just has the spot. We were just concerned that we could not get her seen and that something might be in her muzzle that was causing the spot. We just want to take care of her the best we can.

Sure. How old is she, and how long has the spot been there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is five years old and the spot has been there about two weeks

Okay, so at that age I am not as concerned that this is a cancerous mass, but it could be. Have you seen it get bigger and smaller?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It stays the same size as far as we can tell. It just does not go away.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We were concerned that we were going to have to wait another two weeks to get her seen by her regular vet. If you do not think that is a problem, then we will wait for the appointment.

The main worry about the spot is that it is a tumor of some type. The reason I asked about the change in size was because mast cell tumors can do this, and mast cell tumors should be removed.

Since you have not seen that happening, though, I think it would be safe to wait until the appointment in 2 weeks.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian