Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 11 week old yorkie bought from a reputable border.

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 11 week old yorkie bought from a reputable border. she weighs 1 lb 7 ounces. Had her for 2 weeks with no issues but in the last 36 hours, she as started having a single non-violent cough when she wakes from a nap. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is eating well, drinking, very playful, no issues at all except a single light cough when waking for the past 36 hours.

3/24/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your 11-week old Yorkie will have a single cough when waking up from a nap. This is the only time a cough is observed and coughing is not seen at other times. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One time since I have had her, a single cough after eating. Other than that, only single light cough after waking from occasional nap - not all. in past 36 hours, 9-10 single coughs. Concerned because she did not do this in the past two weeks since I got her, and I have had horrible experience with past yorkies having collapsed trachea. This does not resemble the collapse trachea cough at all.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't know if it is the fuzz from new toys, the a/c too low, or since she has only had one round of vaccinations but is around 2 other dogs, if it could be something contracted...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this morning she played hard with two other dogs, ran for 2 solid hours, but did not cough during that time.

Those are all good questions. It would be expected that a contagious issue would result in coughing more often than just after a nap. It should be occurring throughout the day. The same would be true with a narrowed trachea, although the trachea issue is more of a concern with older dogs and not the younger ones. So I do not think it is contagious at this point until the cough becomes more frequent. Airway irritation from allergens would be most likely. You will want to monitor the respiratory rate to make sure she is not having trouble breathing. The normal rate for a dog is between 20-40 breaths per minute. If the rate climbs into the 50 breaths per minute then she should be seen by a veterinarian. The same would be recommended if she starts coughing more frequently or if you see green or yellow discharge from her nose or eyes - signs of infection. Otherwise, treating with Benadryl or a nebulizer may help reduce the affects of an allergy, or simply monitoring if it continues.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** as many in Miami are suffering from allergies now. I appreciate you answer. I am a nervous new mom, never having had a yorkie this tiny before.
I will keep an eye on the situation and agree with your assessment. Thank you for the peace of mind.

You are most welcome. This does not sound serious. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian