Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a little rat terrier russel mix and I think he has an…

I have a little...

I have a little rat terrier jack russel mix and I think he has an infected anal sac. Lol that’s the last thing you want to hear on a Friday night i know

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the Rat Terrier can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Rat Terrier's name and age?

He has been scooting and in pain. His anal area on one side is distendedand hard to the touch. Also Hot. My dog is lathargic and hot to the touch.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lathargic?

Lo, no I mean he acts lathargic. Like he does not want to do anything. Lol his name is ***** ***** he is around 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?

Uhm nope. I changed his diet to hard food 24 hours later and I thought it was constipation. But he when #2ok.

3/24/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Cody seems uncomfortable. The scooting does sound like an anal gland issue. Does the area that is distended hurt when you touch him (probably not what you were hoping to do with your Friday night)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lol yes. He is very sensitive and he is constantly licking.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its hot and hard to the touch and swollen.

Ouch. It sounds like he needs some antibiotics and pain medication.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Inwill have to take him to my local vet tomorrow.

Okay. It might help his pain if you held a warm, wet towel to the area every now and then, if he will let you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have some log anti biotic from 2016. Think I should give him that as well?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Old I meant

What antibiotic is it?

Was it prescribed for him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ugh it was for my other dog molly she was a springer spaniel. I do have methocarbamol. I think thats tramodol. That’s from 2015 though. Haha. Ugh.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ha. I found simplicef that was prescribed for him 2 times once in 15 and once in 17.

Yay for Simplicef! What strength is it and how much does Cody weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
100mg split in half and the directions say give him half every 24 hours and he ways 21 lbs

That would be a reasonable dose. You could safely give a whole tablet once daily. I would give one tablet now and see if there is any change. If it seems to help, the medicine is probably okay to use. But if it does nothing, it's probably too old.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great thank you. We will do this and see how he does. I have some Ativan from 4 years ago and it hits just like the day it was prescribed lol.

You're welcome. I hope he feels better soon. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. Very helpful.
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian