Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a entire bottle of aleve. 2years old. 2years

He ate a entire...

He ate a entire bottle of aleve

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Harold 2years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Harold?

2years

3/24/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear that your fellow ate a bottle of Aleve.

1. How many tablets?
  2. How much does Harold weigh?
  3. How long ago did this occur?
  4. How is he behaving now?
  5. Any long term health concerns with him?
  6. Is he taking and other medications?
  7. Do you have any FRESH (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
unknown bottle is empty
80lb
30mins ago
normal
no other health concerns
no other meds
do not have hydrogen peroxide

Aleve contains naporoxen, which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory that we do not use in dogs due to the high incidence of side effects including gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers (sometimes perforating) and kidney damage even when given appropriate doses.

The dose listed in Plumb's Veterinary Drug handbook is 2mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight every 48 hours.

A 80 pound dog (80 pounds = 36.36kg) a usual dose would be 72mg, so if he ate just one to two tablets that would be over a normal dose (one 220mg tablet).

A single (meaning given all at once) toxic dose of Aleve in dogs is 35mg/kg, or 1272mg or 5 to 6 tablet of the 220mg size for an 80.0 pound dog. I am not sure from your write up how many pills he had.

Peak blood levels are within 3 hours of ingestion so these levels should occur quickly.

Toxic side effects are abdominal pain, vomiting, gastrointestinal ulcers which can perforate, dark tarry stools, weakness, anemia, and kidney damage shown by increased kidney waste product levels (BUN and creatinine) on blood testing.

Unfortunately the half life (the amount of drug metabolized and decreased by half) in dogs is very long, 72 hours, and as such the effects of the drug linger.

Ideally with this drug we need to them to vomit the pills as soon as possible, since you do not have peroxide he needs an emergency clinic visit immediately.

Your veterinarian will examine him, induce vomiting and then give activated charcoal to prevent further absorption, look for blood in her stools and urine, test his kidney waste blood levels and urine for signs of kidney damage and get him started on sucralfate which is an ulcer coating drug, as well as an acid reducer such as famotidine or omeprazole. They may want to put him on intravenous fluid therapy to flush out any remaining drug and support his kidney function.

They will also likely recommend feeding a very bland diet.

This is a very serious toxicity, please do not delay having him examined.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
we are taking Harold to his Vet immediately, thank you

You are very welcome, best of luck with Harold.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian