Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One or both of our two 138 pound dogs ate 24 mg of

One or both of...

One or both of our two 138 pound dogs ate 24 mg of levothyroxine within the last 30 minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Honey and Bugs are each about 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Honey?

Both are about 9 years old and they are each about 138 pounds

3/24/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your dogs. Do you mean 24 mg or mcg? 24 mg would be a whole bottle of pills; what is the strength of the tablets and how many did they get? Were these pills for a dog, or a person?

Good question. The tablets are for Bugs. They are labeled as .8 mg per tablet; she takes half a tablet per day. About 30 full tablets were consumed.

If one of the dog really did eat 24 mg, that would be a dose of .4 mg per kg of body weight (we calculate drug doses in mg per kg). You may see vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity to lethargy. We really start to worry when a dog gets more than 1 mg per kg, and if one of the dogs ate all the pills, they are well below that dose.

The bottle indicates .8 mg per tablet , not mcg

If you want to induce vomiting, put 1/2 tablespoon 3% hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream for each dog and get them to drink it.

The if one dog ate 30 pills, that would be 24 mg.

Ok

So you may see symptoms, or you may not. It should not be enough to cause serious illness if one dog got all the pills.

Please let me know if this is helpful, how they are doing, and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Will the hydrogen peroxide burn their mouth? Does the milk help that?

Yes, the milk helps the peroxide to go down without causing irritation, and vomiting is more likely to happen if food is taken with the peroxide.

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Everyone living happily ever after.

Thanks for the update; glad to hear they are OK.