Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was spayed today and she is laying with her mouth open…

She was spayed today...

She was spayed today and she is laying with her mouth open is that normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Ariel 5

3/23/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Ariel. If you look at her gums by lifting her lip, are they pink or do they look pale?

If she has to open her mouth to breathe, if she can't breathe with her mouth closed, that is probably not normal.

Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer?

102

Good that is normal. How do her gums look?

Can she breathe with her mouth closed?

Is she eating and drinking?

She just got home today at 4pm eastern offered food wasn't interested. Gums are pink

Good her gums are pink. Is she just holding her mouth open, or is she panting?

Just holding it open

That is odd, but if her gums are pink, her temp is normal, and she is not panting, she may be OK. Try to get her to take water, broth, or any liquids, if she is not eating.

Did she come home with any pain medication?

They said she was to small. She weighs 4.6 lbs said they give her an injection

I see. There are pain medications made in liquid form such as meloxicam that can be dose for these tiny ones.

I would need to examine her to be sure she is OK but from what you are telling me, she sounds stable. However, if she is still not eating by tomorrow, I would have her checked by the veterinarian who examined her.

Thank you. I don't see much sleep tonight

I am sorry to hear that. It is a good idea to keep monitoring her. See if you can tempt her to eat with baby food, cat food, table food.

You are welcome.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

I will be online for some time later; I am in Mountain time, so please let me know how she is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating. How is she doing?

Still not wanting to eat like nauseous

If she won't eat, she should see the veterinarian that spayed her. This is not normal, this long after being spayed. Have you tried baby food, or cat food?

You could try giving her Pepcid AC for nausea: 1/4th of a 10 mg pill.

I took her to er vet and they sone dogs take longer to recoup. But its odd they both are acting the same. They give me some kind of can food to try with a lot of what they need nutritionally. I am taking them to their vet tmrw.

Let me know what you find out.

Will do. I appreciate your concern. I have been so worried about them both.

I hope they are better soon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Took her to vet gave her pain meds eating now. Thank you for asking.

You are welcome; thanks for the update.