Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a male English bulldog that just turned a year old.

HI my name is***** have...
HI my name is***** have a male English bulldog that just turned a year old. I noticed he was having diarrhea for a few weeks, but was not too concerned because that was his only symptom. He couldn't shake it so I brought him to the vet, where they did a stool sample and treated him for parasites. He was continuing to decline while and after the dewormer and antibiotics where finished. I brought him back to the vet when he began to have labored breathing, and the diarrhea was still the same.When we brought him this time they kept him for a blood transfusion and fluids. His blood work results showed extremely high WBC, very anemic, and had no protein. We thought he possibly ate something, so they did a X-ray, where they found nothing other than a massive amount of fluid. Later that day he had a ultrasound, and still they found nothing. As of now he is still at the vet, receiving fluids... with no change...good or bad...He is continuing to lose weight and have fluid in the abdomen.The vet has not given us a diagnosis. They have mentioned Addision's disease what do you think?
3/23/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog is being treated at the veterinarian for fluid in the abdomen, anemia, elevated white blood count, and low total protein. There is no evidence of a foreign body and he was treated earlier for parasites. They have discussed Addison's Disease as a possible diagnosis. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Correct.
Phone call session started
HI I was wanting to follow up with you and continue to get more information about what could possibly be going on with my English bulldog

I can help you with that. Catch me up on how things have been going? I think I remember he was at the hospital and you were going to talk to the veterinarian about some things including a test for Addison's Disease and steroid therapy. How did that go?

not good, little to no improvement.. His white blood cell count normalized, protein went up a little bit but very little and still not red blood cells. He is saying that they are not regenerating. still has diarrhea. appetite has gotten a little better but not much. Now vet is saying they can't do anything else but we could take him to a specialist. Im not sure that he has even tested for much. He has been on two different types of steroids, and antibiotics.
We are talking with the vet in the morning, and I plan on calling another vet/ or hospital. I have the meds here too. I am going to try and take a pic and upload our receipt from when I took him the first time so you can see dosages. We got with a bulldog specialist that the breeder connected us with, and she said he needs vitamin C and was dosed wrong on the dewormer...

Non regenerative anemia can be caused by inflammatory diseases, chronic renal disease, chronic liver disease, neoplasia, endocrine diseases, nutritional or mineral deficiencies, infections, bone marrow disorders. Nonregenerative anemia can also be associated with immune-mediated conditions that affect the platelets. Hopefully the blood work they performed has ruled out most of these. A tick borne parasite seems possible as bulldog breeds appear to be predisposed to these causes of anemia. Otherwise, if the steroid dose is not treating an autoimmune condition then one would need to examine the bone marrow with an aspirate. That would be the next step.

If the deworming was dosed incorrectly then that should be performed again as well.

the dewormer was like 3X what it should have been if the lady we spoke to was correct. he was over dosed possibly
he was taking panacea suspension, metronidazole 250 mg, endosorb tablets, proviable DC Caps,
what is the correct dose of steroids for an autoimmune condition? He was 50 lbs now he is probably 44 or so...
I am printing these off and asking what he has ruled out in the morning.
That was Panacur, correct? The steroid dose would have been 50 mg per day. Now the dose is 40 mg per day.
panacur... is that the white chalky liquid dewormer? I believe that is the one that the lady said he was given the wrong amount. It doesn’t show the dosage on the receipt that I have, but he gave me 3 syringes(30cc) Almost all the way, if not all the way full.

That is likely Panacur. The dose is 1 gram per 10 lbs, so a 50 lb dog should receive 5 grams, whereas a 44 lb dog should receive 4 grams roughly. The solution of Panacur equals 100 mg/mL, so 30 cc would equal 3,000 milligrams (i.e. 3 grams). If you are giving an entire 30 cc syringe then that is only 3 grams whereas his dose should be at minimum 4 grams. I hope that helps.