Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We’ve had dogs of all ages and breeds in our 27 years

together. We usually adopt older...
We’ve had dogs of all ages and breeds in our 27 years together. We usually adopt older dogs, but have decided to adopt an 8 week old giant schnauzer. She’ll have her 6 week shots.
1. When do I first take her to the vet for her next shots?
2. I have to travel with her right after I get her. Some people have me paranoid about parvo etc. How worried do I have to be about that?
3. What else do I need to know? When can I say her?
Thank you in advance!!
3/23/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

So if she had her first puppy shots at 6 weeks of age then her next shots would be due at 9-10 weeks of age. Then again at 3-4 weeks after that. So basically she will need vaccines every 3-4 weeks until she has had three to four sets in total. The rabies vaccine is usually given at 4-6 months of age depending on the rules in the state you live in. The spay is done at 5-6 months of age. I usually start heartworm prevention at the second vaccine visit. Flea prevention can be started now.

The parvo virus can live in the environment for up to two years. Try to keep her out of public places while traveling. So if you have to stop, carry her far off the road or away from the gas station or hotel grounds for her to potty. Then once you get home she should only go potty in your yard and away from where other dogs go. Does that help? Do you have any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about food? How often to feed?
What about worming? Will I have to worm my two dogs/cat as well?Anything breed specific you'd like to share?

What about food? How often to feed? The breeder should send home the food the she is current on with her. Keep her on that food until she gets home. Any food changes should be done gradually over a weeks time. Add a little of the new food in each day. That is to help prevet gi upset. Normally feed a pup her age three times a day. You will have to get up in the middle of the night to take her out to potty for the next month or so. She will not be able to hold it. Usually they have to go 30-60 minutes after eating as well.

What about worming? Will I have to worm my two dogs/cat as well? When you get her home take her to your vet and have a fecal test done. If your dogs are on monthly heart worm prevention they should be protected. Normally you would not need to deworm your cat either as your cat will not be in contact with the puppies feces and the worm eggs are in the feces.

S​he will be dewormed at every booster vaccine visit until she has had three dewormings in total. I have not personally owned an giant schnauzer in my 20 years of being a vet. If you go to www.akc.org it will tell you the breed specific health issues. That is the American kennel club website. Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me? If you are all set, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars so I know how I did and the so the website knows I have responded to your question. You can still reply again at any time after rating my answer. Many Thanks : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

A​www, so adorable. I would sign her up for puppy kindergarten or puppy class so she can get socialized with dogs outside of your pack who have had their shots. Crate training, for house training and not destroying your house while teething, works well. There is lots on the internet about that. Puppies get into all kinds of things from cleaning products to peoples medications to shoes. So hide everything you can think of. She will be chewing on everything, and getting into everything for about the first 1 1/2 years.

Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie Jo. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian