Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bump on pugs eyelid. Has a growth on eyelid, has happened…

Bump on pugs eyelid. ...

Bump on pugs eyelid.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the pug?

Has a growth on eyelid, has happened before. Don't want to put him through another surgery.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the pug's name and age?

Tank, age 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pug's name?

Tank

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Sorry to hear Tank has bumps on his eyelids. Did your vet submit the ones they removed for biopsy?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
yeah it was a few years ago. Was benign.

Okay, that's good news. Is the bump affecting his vision or causing discomfort?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Doesn't seem to be.

Good. In that case you could just leave it. If he did have surgery to remove it, your vet would do blood work before putting him under anesthesia to make sure he could tolerate it.

How are his teeth? If he needs a dental cleaning done, they could do that and the growth removal at the same time.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He does need his teeth cleaned.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Could it be something I could treat myself with compresses?

You could try treating with warm compresses a few times a day for a few days in case it is due to a clogged pore. Sometimes swellings can be due to a clogged duct but there aren't any in the area where the growth is.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, so best to take him to the vet?

But you can definitely try. If he does need his teeth cleaned, though, the best course of action would be to have that done and the growth removed at the same time, with or without submitting it for biopsy. I would ask your vet for an estimate.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Last time I had to take him to a Canine Eye Doctor.

Your vet may try to get some cell samples from the growth to try to figure out what it is, but the only way to be sure is by removing it and submitting it for biopsy.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thank you very much.

You're welcome. Hopefully the growth is nothing to worry about and he'll be just fine. Good luck. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian