Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with Larygeal Paralysis and is taking…

My dog was diagnosed...

My dog was diagnosed with Larygeal Paralysis and is taking Prednisone. He barks constantly for food and treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Guinness 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Guinness?

12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Guinness?

Trying different meds for calming and so far Aceprometizine and Trazadone only seems to reduce impulse control (barking and begging is worse). Even when combined with Tramadol or Gabepentin in case the behavior is related to pain

3/23/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear that Guiness has "lar par". Prednisone could be causing him to want to eat more.

I would ask about reducing the prednisone (this needs to be done gradually if he has been taking it for awhile) and try him on Doxepin, which is a medication that control Lar Par in about 75% of dogs with this condition.

Please let me know when you see my answer, and if you have other questions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you I’ve heard about Doxepin but my vet hasn’t. I was hesitant to pursue since he seems to not respond to sedatives

Doxepin is the only sedative that helps with Lar Par symptoms; I would give it a try. If it helps, I would start weaning him off the prednisone.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What about CBD oil?

That can help with appetite, and pain, but there is no evidence it will treat the Lar Par symptoms.

The only things I know for sure that help are surgery and Doxepin. It would be good to get him off the prednisone, as it may be causing the symptoms of barking constantly for food and treats.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Well, vet ordered the doxepin for me but unfortunately he had 3-4 wheezing episodes with distress on Saturday and I had to put him to sleep before we got a chance to try it. I really wish my vet and I had this information earlier. Are you aware of anything published on Doxepin and Lar Par that I might share with her?

I am so sorry to hear she passed away. My sincere condolences.

There is plenty of information on VIN, Veterinary Information Network about using Doxepin for Lar Par. You have to be a veterinarian to access VIN.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you I will pass this along so that maybe future patients will have a better chance!

You are welcome.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian