Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog recently passed away and Im just trying to find

Customer Question
My dog recently passed...

My dog recently passed away and Im just trying to find answers as to why.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

She has not been herself for a month. Only thing blood work showed was a high white blood cell count. Xray showed possible neck injury. Vet put her on Prednisone and tramadol. After about 2 weeks she progressively got worse. Falling over, stiff neck, unable to eat out of her dog bowl and had to be hand fed. Walked with head straight ahead, wouldn't sniff ground. She hid all the time. Took her back to the vet and they started her a Preds and Gabapratint she died 5 days later and Im left to wonder why. She was suppose to get a MRI today for possible neurological issues?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Wound on foot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Oakley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oakley?

She is dead

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear about Oakley. Did your vet do any lab tests?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She would also walk and stop and stare for minutes and would not respond to being called. She had severe neck tremors the right side and on the last day both sides. Morning time was the worse times for her. Also the last 3 or so days so would pee on herself and poop herself. Yes, only this abnormal was high white blood cell count.

Between the neurological signs and elevated white blood cell count, it sounds like Oakley might have had bacterial meningitis. Did your vet try treating with antibiotics?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No antibiotics were given. Just Preds, Tramadol, and Gabapentin.

It sounds like your vet thought by her signs that she had a back injury that was putting stress on her spinal cord and that was causing the neurological signs. That would explain treating her with prednisone to decrease inflammation and the pain medications for an injury. Back injuries are much more common than bacterial meningitis. However, if she did have bacterial meningitis, the steroids would have made it worse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She never vomited and stools were normal. And she never had a fever. Would that cause her to decline as quickly as she did? And how do they get bacterial meningitis? I am just heart broken, She was only 9 and 1/2. She has always had health issues. Thyroid issues, allergies, etc. But I never expected this!

They can get bacterial meningitis from any kind of infection in their body that moves into the blood stream. Was she diagnosed with any infections such as urinary tract infection, dental infection, skin infection, etc?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian