Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just started limping a little bit. He is definitely…

Hello, my dog just...

Hello, my dog just started limping a little bit. He is definitely not in pain. He walks normally and he limps only when he runs. I checked his leg and I found a small lump ( 1/4 of an inch) just next to his right hock.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He is a mix poodle, 12 years old, in very good health and energy

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I presume he is limping on his right hindleg?

Is the lump soft and freely moveable and under the fur?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yes he’s limping on his right leg. The lump is freely moveable it’s not very soft.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’d prefer not to call thanks

Okay

That lump is not the cause of the lameness-> Just an incidental finding and if freely moveable likely not anything serious

The lameness could be due to a sprain or strain but we also have to consider a partial tear of the anterior cruciate ligament (we dont want this)

Lets try cage rest and Aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound for the weekend

IF the lameness persists then an exam is in order

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually yesterday morning he jumped down from an high bed but the limping started today. Thank you very much

Hmmmm that jump down would have bothered a front leg more then a hindleg I would guess but very welcome!

Please update me tomorrow

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian