Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It's a 6-year-old chihuahua-cattle dog mix who has a history…

It's a 6-year-old chihuahua-cattle...

It's a 6-year-old chihuahua-cattle dog mix who has a history of constipation and stomach upset. She's been moving around hunched-over with her tail between her legs since yesterday evening. I suspect constipation, though I can't tell for certain because I haven't observed her pooping. She has shrieked a couple times from outside, so I also suspect trying to go is painful. When I lift her tail to check for matted hair over the anus (none seen), she wants to shriek again. I gave her 1 cc of olive oil at about 7:30, and a small bowl of warm low-fat milk at about 10:30. No change. Since it's Friday, I'm beginning to wonder when I take her to the vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Gidget. 6 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Gidget?

OK, you are either not reading my responses or your automated system is not very good. It's already asked me the dog's name and age. Response is above.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gidget?

I've provided a long and detailed introductory message, above. Nothing beyond that.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks. Standing by ...

Friend, when a dog has a hunched back this is usually secondary to abdominal pain or back pain. You did right in giving her milk and oil; if she has not defecated this is likely not related to constipation. I suspect Gidget may have a pinched nerve or pulled muscle along the back. However, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having her checked today by your veterinarian. If this is related to a pinched nerve they will start her on anti-inflamamtory and pain medication. Do not give over the counter pain medication, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

NO NEED TO CALL ME. I found your response above informative and helpful. I will get her to a vet. Thanks.

I won't be calling you.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian