Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friends elderly Maltese has what looks like tumor on his…

My friends elderly Maltese...

My friends elderly Maltese has what looks like tumor on his bottom gum it bleeds very easily

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Henry is about 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Henry?

He still is very bouncy & seems happy

3/23/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Henry seems to have a tumor. Is he still eating and drinking?

he is eating & drinking going outside & all that so far, the bleeding is a nuisance & we have tried to make a makeshift soft muzzle to catch the blood. Do you think this will get better or is the end near?

If it's a tumor it will not get better, but it may not get any worse. The fix to the problem is to have the tumor removed and submitted for biopsy. To control bleeding, you could ask your vet about some nitrate sticks to apply to the bleeding areas. Since he is eating and drinking and seems to have a normal energy level, there probably hasn't been cancer spread to the rest of his body.

did you receive the pictures I uploaded?

No, unfortunately not.

I will try again, just wondering what we can do to get thru this time..

Is the tumor actively bleeding right now? You can try applying some ice to it for a few minutes.

one Vet told him he would need his jaw removed
how does he look to you?

That looks like it may have invaded the jaw, in which case removing the jaw might be necessary. To figure out if that's necessary, I would have dental x-rays done to look for bone destruction around the tumor. If bone removal is necessary, with an experienced surgeon and good pain medication, dogs can do very well without a jaw.

hmm, ok I will let my friend know about your recommendations & see what he thinks Thanks for the look & advice!

You're welcome. Tell your friend good luck. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel