Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

7 yr old lab/boxer mix; diagnosis of lymes disease, treated…

7 yr old lab/boxer...

7 yr old lab/boxer mix; diagnosis of lymes disease, treated for lymes, vacinated as well; exhibiting "knuckling" of front left paw, slight "knuckling" of left rear paw. Currently being treated with Doxycyline, Gabapentin; obvious hunching of back and loss of balance; appears to be stiff all over...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No exterior wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jack, 7yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Has been on a regimine of Bravecto for tick and flea treatment, has been xrayed with no findings...

3/23/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry that Jack has been having these issues. It sounds to me like he has neurological deficits to the left side of his spinal cord that is causing compression of the nerves to the front and back left legs. It's possible that he has a slipped disc that is causing the problem, and this can sometimes be seen on back x-rays. The hunching of the back can be a sign of back pain or abdominal pain. I recommend getting some back x-rays done, if that has not already been done.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a series of x-rays has been done, including the back. local vet suggested a consult with a neurological facility. Nothing appears to be out of alignment. He has good appetite and drinking water normally.

Did your vet recommend any restricted activity? Did they prescribe any steroids? If the problem is a slipped disc, you can try conservative treatment at home with cage rest, steroids, and a muscle relaxer if needed. If the neurological function does not improve (or gets worse), though, surgery might be needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also gave a muscle relaxer. I have scheduled an appointment at The Ohio State University Veterinary Center for April 5th. Hoping for the best....

Good. I agree with that approach.

They make recommend a CT scan. It is more sensitive for slipped discs and for visualizing tumors as well (hopefully he does not have a tumor compressing his spinal cord).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the good advice and concern. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed!

You're welcome. Good luck with him! If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian