Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How to tell if dog has tapeworm? Toby age 13yrs. Eats alot,

Customer Question
How to tell if...

How to tell if dog has tapeworm?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Toby age 13yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?

Eats alot, seems to be losing weight

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Toby. Tapeworms can be diagnosed by visualizing their segments passing in the stool - dried segments look like pieces of rice - or by seeing the eggs in a fecal ova and parasite exam. Most important, however, is that the common tapeworm is rarely responsible for clinical signs in dogs. A 13 year old who is eating a lot yet losing weight needs to be checked for diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, and both maldigestion in the form of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency/a lack of digestive enzymes from the pancreas and malabsorption disorders (inefficient absorption of digested food in the intestinal tract). Toby's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests that should cover all of the differentials I posted above. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.