Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs temp was 100.3 today 99.2 and she’s started

Customer Question
lactating a few days ago...
My dogs temp was 100.3 today 99.2 and she’s started lactating a few days ago
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Kim, these are signs of impending labor but there's quite a variation in time for lactation to be first apparent and the body temperature dropping below 100F while suggestive of impending labor isn't a reliable indicator of just when labor will begin. Most important, the great majority of dogs give birth between 62-64 days from ovulation but due to variability in the time of ovulation compared to the time of standing behavior in the bitch (estrus) and the long time sperm are viable in the female reproductive tract, gestation length from a single breeding can range from 58 (bred late) to 71 days) bred early). Here's what you need to know at this time:

Stage I parturition = cervical dilation. Precious will be restless, pant, and may vomit. Signs should increased in frequency.

Dystocia – difficult birth – should be considered when the following arises:

If no puppy is born within 4 hours of the temperature readjusting to normal (>100F).

If active stage 2 labor (active contractions) lasts more than 1 hour without producing a pup.

More than 3 hours pass between pups without active contractions.

A black, green, or red discharge is present from the vulva before any pups are born (indicating placental separation and fetal distress) or a pup is lodged in the birth canal.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

It’s saturday 9:30 in the morning my dog just vomited, and she’s had her nesting ready is it time

Yes, vomiting is another indication of stage I labor. Stage I can last quite some time but if stage II (active contractions) doesn't arrive within 24 hours, Precious will need the attention of her vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Precious. How is everything going?