Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My make dog just looked uncomfortable. His penis was huge…

Customer Question
My make dog just...

My make dog just looked uncomfortable. His penis was huge and tail between his legs and had his back arched. But it does go away. It has been happening for awhile. He just walks around till it goes away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Why their foot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Duke and not sure we adopted him and the human society got him at 9 months or so i wanna say 4-5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Duke

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Duke seems to be in pain. How long have these episodes been going on and about how long do they last (minutes? hours?)?

They been happening for couple years now. But they only happen few times a month and last about 10 mintues tops.

I wonder if he's having acid reflux every now and then that is causing him abdominal pain and then goes away on its own. You could try giving Duke some Pepcid in the morning and evening and see if that helps. About how much does he weigh?

He's a pretty large dog. Bullmastoff mix with chocolate lab. I wanna say 80-90 pounds maybe 100
But does acid reflux make a dogs penis so big looking? When he arches his back

When you say his penis looks big, do you mean that it extends out of the sheath? Or that it looks swollen?

It looks swollen, and only his tip of his penis comes out. But yes it's mostly looks swollen

And how long does it stay swollen? Also, is he neutered?

he's neutered and it last couple mintues

Does he lick at his penis frequently? Are you ever seen it extend all the way out of the sheath?

No he only licks it after the episode and no it doesn't come all tge way out

Since this comes and goes, and has been happening for a while, I wonder if he has some type of structural abnormality with his penis that causes this to happen once in a while, like perhaps there is something on the inside of the sheath that causes some of the tissue to get trapped and swell up. I think the best thing to do would be to get him in to the vet for a thorough exam of that area.

That won't be possible, I have no money and he hates the vet. He won't even go through the door of the vet.

Hmm that makes it tricky then. You could see if there is a house call vet in your area who would be willing to do an exam. If this problem does not seem to be affecting his quality of life, though, you may not really need to do anything. I do recommend that he get a checkup when it's possible though.