Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is shivering and didnt eat this morning. Im concerned…

She is shivering and...

She is shivering and didnt eat this morning. Im concerned that she may have eaten something outside. Our lawn was treated a couple days ago also

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is tiny

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agreed to a $5 charge but you have also taken $14?? Will you be helping me??

I understand that your pup is shivering and has a poor appetite today.

Lack of an appetite and lethargy can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Most lawn treatments are nontoxic to pets and if she stayed off your lawn until the grass dried this is unlikely to be a factor.

Shivering can indicate a fever, but we also see dogs shiver when in pain, they feel nauseous or weak due to dehydration, low blood sugar, or electrolyte imbalances from not eating and drinking as usual.

If she isn't drinking well either she will quickly become dehydrated.

Ideally she would see a veterinarian if this persists for more than 48-72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.

If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and drink. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If she continues to not eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please stop asking for money and aswer my question

Please scroll up above your last response to see my written response, and let me know if you have any questions about what I have written. Sorry it took me a bit, I am a slow typist.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

My pleasure, glad to help!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian