Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a collie, he's been an inside dog for the past 3…

Customer Question
We have a collie...

We have a collie, he's been an inside dog for the past 3 years. the past few days he has been smelling aweful. at first we thought it was gas, but the smell is non stop. it follows him everywhere and is making the whole house stink. what is wrong with him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the collie's name?

Link

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Link?

He has some trouble with his hips, not able to cock his leg without leaning against something to support him.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/23/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Link has started smelling bad for some reason. Odor is usually due to an infection somewhere. Dogs can get infections pretty much anywhere - ears, skin, teeth, etc. Is he showing any signs such as shaking his head? Is he eating ok? Does he have any wounds on his body?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I dont see any wounds. he does seem to be eating fine. None of his behaviour seems out of the normal.
He just smells really bad. At first we thought he had pooped somewhere, but not the case. its him, it follows him and lingers in the room he leaves.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He does have bad breath at times, but that smell is completely different.

It's strange that it seems to be coming from all over. Usually it can be localized to one area and that's the place we need to identify. Since it's coming from all over, I do wonder if it's a skin issue. Does he have a long coat? Does he go swimming? I'm thinking if he goes swimming and the moisture stays in his coat, that he could have a bacterial or yeast skin infection.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He is a collie, so yes he has a long coat. No we don't take him swimming. we keep him inside and only let him out to use th e bathroom. We also avoid the rain/snow.

How long has this been going on? Is he scooting on the floor? Anal glands can also be infected and stink.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
We started to notice it a few days ago. I would say in the past 24 hours it has become increasingly pungent.
he does not scoot. He is usually lethargic If nothing is going on, he will lay down. and will come if I call him. He gets excited if he hears a truck engine or someone comes to the door. and he will play with us.
nothing seems out of the ordinary.
I'm pregnant and work from home and the smell is making me sick. I thought it was "just me" picking up on it with my radar nose, but it's not, my husband and mother in law agree that it is pretty vile. and we've been using airfresheners, candles, fans to keep it tolerable.

There are a few metabolic problems that dogs can develop that cause an odor. How old is Link?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He is about 11 years old.

Older dogs can develop kidney and liver disease, as well as diabetes, and those things can cause them to smell off. Since Link is 11, he is considered a senior dog now and I would get some lab work done to make sure he does not have any of the conditions I mentioned that are causing the stink.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, i appreciate the input.
the smell is new/never never been this bad. i'm just not really sure what to do about it.
you don't think its an emergency situation, right?

I'm concerned about the degree of the odor that you are describing. Usually I would say that as long as he is eating, drinking, playing, urinating and defecating that I wouldn't consider it to be an emergency. I wouldn't call this an emergency but I would say it should be something you should take him in to the vet for sooner than later.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, thank you for the advice.

You're welcome. Good luck with him. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian