Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just had a litter of pug puppies and the mother acts

I just had a...

I just had a litter of pug puppies and the mother acts terrified of them she wont nurse or go near them they are crying all the time and when I out them on her (holding her down) only a couple of the puppies seem to know how to nurse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the pug's name?

Poppet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Poppet?

Oh she just had a c section to have the puppies about 3 hours ago and the vet I took her to told me to make sure the pups fed every 2 hours he thought she was scared of them because of the surgery

3/23/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Poppet.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

It's not uncommon for new moms to act confused or want to reject their puppies after a c-section. The normal cascade of hormones which can trigger the maternal bond can be lacking in some moms when puppies aren't delivered naturally.

In most cases, the new moms will start to behave as they should after a few days but in some rare cases, they don't. In those cases, then the puppies will need to be bottle fed.

Low dose oxytocin has been shown to help with anxious moms but it only appears to be effective for 2 days. It can be used as a nasal spray in addition to being given as an injection. I'd definitely discuss this with your vet.

I'm not certain if supplemental calcium will help although some of my breeder friends swear by it. Give her otc Tums at a dose of 1 three times a day for a few days and then reduce it to 1 twice a day while she's nursing.

Your vet is correct in that you want those babies to get colostrum into their bodies as soon as possible. If Poppet isn't cooperating, then you'll need someone to help hold/restrain her and try to soothe her while you're putting the puppies on a nipple. Instinct usually kicks in with newborn puppies but if they don't seem to know what to so, gently open their mouths and put it on a nipple. Make sure that she has milk so that they're suckling is productive...although this is something that you may already know to do or have done.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
thank you so much I will try that

You're most welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with her and the babies. I know you've got a lot of sleepless nights (and work!) ahead of you:) Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian